The Director of Community Engagement will lead community connectivity, digital engagement, and program management for Forward Cities’ capacity building programs. This role reports to the Senior Director of Learning Networks and is an integral part of the organization’s Community Innovation department. In this capacity, the role will work closely with our Director of Community Innovation to provide holistic, wrap-around support for our community partners, clients, and local ecosystem builders. Direct reports may include Local Directors/Organizers, ecosystem builders and clients in the communities in which we work and any assigned departmental interns.
The full-time position is based in Durham, NC with the following general schedule: Monday-Friday 9am - 5pm. We are currently working remotely due the pandemic, but there will be an expectation to work partially or fully in our downtown Durham office when it is reasonably safe to do so - based on local and state regulations. Once travel is safe, the position will require an average of 2-5 days of travel per month.
Strategy & Program Management
- Overseeing the digital and in-person community engagement strategy for the Community Innovation department;
- Serving as the departmental lead in all miscellaneous and special projects that arise through the organization’s fundraising and development efforts;
- Supporting senior staff in the development of the emerging Forward Cities community of practice and any precursors;
- Maintaining, tracking, and updating the engagement calendar, action plans, and project management boards for assigned projects;
- Coordinating with the Senior Director of Learning Networks to ensure all assigned engagement milestones are on schedule and within prescribed budgets;
- Coordinating with the Marketing and Communities team to provide any necessary departmental inputs and multimedia content for events, national conferences, web, print, and social media;
- Coordinating with staff and contractors including Local Directors/Local Organizers to insure they are properly tracking and submitting expenses, receipts, and invoices;
- Producing minutes, actions and follow-up after meetings and scheduling future meetings;
- Preparing reports as needed; assist in the preparation of documents and presentations for the department,
- Identifying opportunities to improve our work and impact within our programs as well as our broader team.
- Identifying potential issues and risks and providing timely recommendations
Digital Platform Development & Engagement
- Working across our engagements and communities to lead the development of digital community engagement platforms and providing capacity building training for their use;
- Producing, writing, sourcing, and/or emerging content for digital platforms in line with our areas of expertise in ecosystem building and entrepreneurial support;
- Vetting, testing, recommending, and leading the customization of any new community engagement and learning software, platforms, or tools.
Events & Facilitation
- Serving as a support facilitator for various digital events including, but not limited to, our custom diversity, equity, and inclusion (ABIDE) training series, Strategic Doing and similar events.
- Serving as the lead project manager for large community convenings, partner events, and the Forward Cities national conference;
- Working with staff to develop engaging and interactive experiences for councils and communities.
Capacity Building & Training
- Developing, modeling, and training staff and community leaders on best practices and effective techniques for inclusive digital and in-personal engagement and meeting facilitation;
- Developing and maintaining a repository of Community Innovation tools (past, present, and future).
- Overseeing and structuring learning opportunities for any assigned interns.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 5+ years of operational experience with nationally scaled corporations and/or non-profits
- Demonstrated experience in entrepreneurial support and/or ecosystem building
- Start-up experience as part of an entrepreneurial or intrapreneurial team
- Experience managing online digital platforms and/or a background in user interfaces and experiences
- A strong and confident presence and aptitude for live presentations and meeting/event facilitation
- Experience developing, delivering, and/or codifying training programs
- A demonstrated commitment to the mission and work of Forward Cities
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
Reporting Authority: The role will report to the Senior Director of Learning Networks and be part of the team based in Raleigh-Durham, NC.
Salary Range & Benefits: $60,000 - $75,000 depending on education and experience - includes full benefits (PTO, parental leave, group health plan/health insurance stipend, life insurance, telecommunication stipend, and 403(b) plan participation after 90 days with the organization)
To Apply, Visit Our Application Portal