The Senior Director of E3 Solutions leads the sales, development, delivery, and continuous improvement of Forward Cities equitable entrepreneurial ecosystem building solutions for communities across the country. Leveraging a depth and breadth of experience in entrepreneurial support and resource development, as well as best practices for diversity, equity, and inclusion, this role will be responsible for developing and implementing a strategy for the scale-up of Forward Cities’ proprietary and custom capacity-building engagements. The position will also be charged with leadership, management, and oversight of the growing E3 Solutions team.
The Senior Director of E3 Solutions reports directly to the President & CEO and is an integral member of the Forward Cities senior leadership team. Direct reports include the Director of Entrepreneur Engagement, Program Manager, and external contractors, as needed.
Functions and Responsibilities
- Overseeing the design, delivery, and oversight of equitable entrepreneurial ecosystem engagements, including holding all department team members accountable for designated deliverables;
- Equipping communities to grow more equitable entrepreneurial ecosystems, prioritizing community-informed programmatic design and methodology that is aligned with our organizational values;
- Co-developing and implementing an earned revenue strategy for the expansion of the organization’s capacity building solutions;
- Writing and contributing to the writing of program grants and proposals;
- Serving as the primary liaison with engagement clients and funders;
- Providing direct management of the Director of Entrepreneur Engagement, The E3 Solutions Program Manager and any future E3 Solutions team members responsible for the capacity building efforts within client communities;
- Leading continuous improvement and engagement refinement, which includes facilitating cross-departmental design and debrief sessions, making design improvement recommendations and championing agreed upon changes;
- Coordinating with the CEO and the Senior Director of E3 Nation to identify and codify best practices and/or gaps for for potential new programmatic solutions and for sharing throughout our learning networks;
- Leading the charge on special projects as assigned by the President & CEO.
Program Delivery & Management
- Executing on quality community facilitation and program delivery across every facet of our capacity building efforts, including the coordination of cross-departmental inputs, utilizing designated systems and platforms;
- Project-managing and course-correcting engagements to insure milestones and tasks are on schedule, in line with impact goals and within prescribed budgets;
- Building relationships and trust within our client communities and maintaining active contact with our local partners throughout the process;
- Working with the Senior Director of Impact & Assessment to align engagement activities with impact goals and metrics.
- Providing back-up support for direct report scopes of work as needed.
- Developing agendas for and lead team meetings; maintain notes and providing weekly status updates, utilizing designated systems and platforms;
- Building and maintaining engagement budgets;
- Working with the Vice President of Finance & Operations to track budget to actual revenues and expenses for all engagements;
- Overseeing departmental knowledge and file management in alignment with organizational operational policies;
- Preparing department and grant reports as needed and assisting in the preparation of documents and presentations for the department;
- Working with the Finance & Operations team to facilitate the on-boarding, performance management, and offboarding of team staff;
- Serving as an active member of the organization’s senior leadership team.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 15+ years of operational experience with nationally scaled corporations and/or non-profits;
- 10+ years of experience in the development and implementation of entrepreneurial support and/or entrepreneurial ecosystem building programs;
- A lived experience aligned with the mission and work of Forward Cities;
- Experience building and managing teams;
- Exceptional interpersonal and communications skills, including the ability to communicate clearly in verbal and written forms, as well as forge and maintain relationships with partners, stakeholders, grantors and other organization stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and effectively, while contributing to a cohesive team environment;
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
Work Location & Expectations
This position is located in Durham, NC and will require approximately 2-5 days of travel per month, depending on need. When not traveling, the position is primarily an in-office role with the following schedule: Tuesday-Thursday 9am - 5pm. Monday/Friday 9am - 5pm (in-office or remote).
Salary and Benefits
The starting salary range for this position is $85,000-$90,000 - includes full benefits (PTO, parental leave, subsidized group health plan/health insurance stipend, life insurance, telecommunication stipend, and 403(b) plan participation after 90 days with the organization).
This position will report will report to the President & CEO.
Forward Cities provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.